Thursday, August 5, 2010

YA Books You NEED to Check Out!

I will admit that, at one time, I was prejudiced when it came to books. As soon as I aged past about 16 or 17 years old I got it into my head somehow that it wasn't okay to read Young Adult books anymore. Where this idea came from, I have no idea. So, a few years ago when someone suggested to me that I read Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments books, I ignored her at first, dismissing the books as too young for me. After this person persisted in telling me how wonderful these books were, I finally caved and borrowed the first book, "City of Bones" from my local library.

Boy was I in for a surprise. It was so good I literally read almost all of it in one sitting. I knew then that I'd misjudged these books, and most like the whole genre of YA. No matter what the age Young Adult books have something for people of all ages.

These are some of my favourite YA books right now (there are a lot more I'm sure that I'm forgetting as well).

  • Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments Trilogy. Pure brilliance.
  • Becca Fitzpatrick's "Hush Hush" (and "Crescendo" when it's out!).
  • Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games" trilogy. So suspenseful and intriguing. I literally could no put it down!
  • Madeleine L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time"
  • C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. These are some of my favourite books of all time
  • Anne Brashare's Sisterhood Series. So endearing and heartfelt.
  • Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
  • All of Meg Cabots YA books, including the Princess Diaries series 


As I mentioned, these are just SOME of my favourite YA but it's a good start of a list.

On another topic, if you want to vote on your favourite male character, check out the poll on the left side. They're just waiting for your votes!

~Steph

0 comments:

Post a Comment